Saturday, February 4, 2012

Dick's Cream Stout


I am not exactly sure what to expect from cream stouts.  Thus, I took a peek at Wikipedia, mostly because I was too lazy to get up and get a book to look at.  Turns out it's the same as a milk stout.  I had presumed that, but good to get some confirmation.  Here's what Wikipedia has to say:  
Milk stout (also called sweet stout or cream stout) is a stout containing lactose, a sugar derived from milk. Because lactose is unfermentable by beer yeast, it adds sweetness, body, and calories to the finished beer. Milk stout was claimed to be nutritious, and was given to nursing mothers, along with other stouts, such as Guinness. The classic surviving example of milk stout is Mackeson's, for which the original brewers claimed that "each pint contains the energising carbohydrates of 10 ounces of pure dairy milk". In the period just after the Second World War whenrationing was in place, the British government required brewers to remove the word "milk" from labels and adverts, and any imagery associated with milk.
I've only had a few other milk/cream stouts so I can't really compare to others in the genre fairly, but I'd call it middle of the road (I can think of one worse and one better).  I do like the fact that it was considered nutritious though and lets pretend this one is as well.

I really like the taste of the beer and it's quite smooth to drink.  The taste of this beer is slightly bitter at the end, but it's not unpleasant to drink.  The label on this kind of freaks me out though.  The eye really looks like it's glowing.  CREEEEPY!

Beer Advocate likes it.
Dick's Brewing is another local WA brewery!

No comments:

Post a Comment