Sunday, January 29, 2012

Alaskan Perseverance Ale


I was at Tides Tavern in Gig Harbor and was ready for a good beer at the end of a long week of work.  I initially ordered Abyss, but they were actually out.  Side note - a giant pet peeve is outdated tap lists, especially when you clearly print them on a regular basis.  Either take the list out of the menu and tell me what you have, or cross stuff out, but don't let me think I'm ordering something when it's not available.

So onto the beer.  This is quite an intense beer.  With 9% ABV, it was a treat to find on tap.  I have a bottle of this sitting in the "cellar" and am excited to give it a try when the hubby gets home to compare.  It was heavy to drink and it was my one and only beer at the restaurant.  I sipped it slowly and it was great right as it was poured and as it warmed up throughout my meal.  

If you see this on tap, definitely give it a try if you like the RIS style.  I'll be back with more later on the bottle once I open it up!

UPDATE AFTER HAVING THIS BOTTLED


After having it in the bottle, I can tell you it definitely drank a bit differently.  Maybe it also had to do with the fact it was aged.  It was not as heavy I felt out of the bottle. 

Will thought this one was rich and delicious.  He thought it tasted of fireweed or birch syrup, but couldn't be sure which since he wasn't familiar with the fireweed taste.

Here's the thoughts over at Beer Advocate.
Here's Alaskan's description of the beer.

No comments:

Post a Comment